course, you will examine the history of the Internet and its
influence on E-Commerce; and the validity of E-Commerce and why
it is increasingly being integrated into the business model. You
will also explore the fundamental business concepts as they
relate to E-Commerce, such as customer relationship management;
e-procurement; security and staffing issues; planning; metric
identification techniques for measuring the success of
E-Commerce initiatives; marketing strategies on the World Wide
Web; and information on E-Commerce software, hardware, and
interested in learning about fundamentals of E-Commerce.
3 - 5 days (9:00 – 5:00)
The e-Business certification exam 212-32 will be conducted at
the last day of the training. Students need to pass the online
Prometric exam to receive the CEA certification.
Overview of Electronic Commerce
Define electronic commerce (EC) and describe its various
- Distinguish between electronic markets and
- Describe and discuss the content and framework of
- Understand the forces that drive the widespread
use of EC.
- Describe the benefits of EC to organizations,
consumers, and society.
- Describe the limitations of EC.
some major managerial issues regarding EC.
Module 2: The
Describe the major characteristics of the digital economy.
- Compare marketplaces with marketspaces.
- Describe the nature of competition in
- Describe some economic rules of the digital
- Describe the impacts of the digital economy on
trading and intermediaries.
- Describe the impacts of the digital economy on
business processes and functional areas in
the role of m-commerce in the digital economy.
Retailing in Electronic Commerce (e-Tailing)
Define and describe the primary business models of electronic
- Discuss various e-tail consumer aids, including
- Discuss various e-tail markets, such as groceries,
music, cars, and others.
- Identify the critical success factors of direct
marketing and e-tailing, along with mistakes to avoid.
- Identify the principles of “click-and-mortar”
strategies for traditional retailers.
- Describe the issue of disintermediation,
reintermediation, and channel conflicts in e-tailing.
various managerial issues of concern to e-tailers.
Internet Consumers, e-Service, and Market Research
Describe the essentials of consumer behavior.
- Describe the characteristics of Internet surfers
and EC purchasers.
- Understand the decision-making process of consumer
- Describe the way companies are building
relationships with customers.
- Explain the implementation of customer service and
its relationship with CRM.
- Describe consumer market research in EC.
- Understand the role of intelligent agents in
the organizational buyer behavior model.
Advertisement in E-Commerce
Describe the objectives of Web advertisement, its types, and
- Describe the major advertisement methods used on
- Describe various Web advertisement strategies.
- Describe various types of promotions on the Web.
- Discuss the benefits of push technology and
- Understand the major economic issues related to
- Describe the issues involved in measuring the
success of Web advertisement as it relates to
different pricing methods.
- Compare paper and electronic catalogs and describe
Web advertisement implementation issues.
Describe the B2B field.
- Describe the major types of B2B models.
- Describe the characteristics of the sell-side
- Describe the sell-side intermediaries models.
- Describe the characteristics of the buy-side
marketplace and e-procurement.
- Explain how forward and backward auctions work in
- Describe B2B aggregation and group purchasing
- Describe collaborative e-commerce.
- Understand issues concerning the implementation of
Internet-based EDI from traditional EDI.
E-Marketplaces and B2B
Define e-marketplaces and exchanges.
- List all types of e-marketplaces.
- Describe B2B portals.
- Describe third-party exchanges.
- Explain dynamic pricing and describe its trading
- Distinguish between e-procurement and e-selling
- Describe the various ownership and revenue models.
- Describe networks of exchanges and exchange
- Describe the critical success factors of
- Discuss implementation and development issues of
e–marketplaces and exchanges.
the extranet and its role in supporting marketplaces
Module 8: B2B
Identify the major types of B2B services usually provided by
specialized e-service providers.
- Understand why EC services are frequently
- Describe the role and types of e-strategy
- Understand the e-infrastructure process and the
role of Web hosting and integration.
- Describe various financial services in B2B.
- Explain the various B2B logistics services and
order fulfillment services.
- Differentiate B2C from B2B with respect to
marketing, advertisement, and sales, and describe some
- Describe content creation, syndication, delivery,
- Describe the role of directory services in B2B.
how CRM is done in B2B and its relationships with
Dynamic Pricing: Auctions and More
Define the various types of auctions and list their
- Describe the processes of conducting forward and
- Describe the benefits and limitations of auctions.
- Describe the various services that support
- Describe the hazards of e-auction fraud and
- Describe bartering and negotiating.
future directions and the role of m-commerce.
Service Industries, Online Publishing, and Knowledge
Understand how broker-based services are performed online.
- Describe online travel tourism services and their
- Discuss the impact of EC on the travel industry.
- Describe the online job market, its drivers, and
- Describe the electronic real estate and online
- Understand how stock trading and global exchanges
work online and their benefits.
- Discuss cyberbanking, its drivers, and
- Discuss implementation and other important issues
of online financial services and its future.
- Describe online publishing.
- Describe online knowledge dissemination and
disintermediation and reintermediation.
Intrabusiness and e-Government
Define intrabusiness e-commerce.
- Describe the intranet and its use in
- Understand the relationship between corporate
portals and the intranets.
- Describe e-government to citizens (G2C) and to
- Describe other e-government initiatives.
how peer-to-peer technology works in intrabusiness, in
B2B, and in C2C e-commerce.
Building E-Commerce Applications and Infrastructure
Describe the landscape and framework of EC application
- Describe the major EC applications and list their
- Describe the EC architecture development process.
- List the major EC application development options
and the approaches for option selection.
- Describe the major activities in system analysis
- Describe the role of ASPs.
- Describe catalogs, Web servers, carts, chatting,
and telephony for EC.
- Understand the issue of connecting EC applications
to databases, other applications, and networks, and to
- Describe site usability and management.
- Describe the process of storefront development.
a simple storefront using templates.
Document the rapid rise in computer and network security
- Understand the factors contributing to the rise in
EC security breaches.
- Explain the basic types of network security
- Discuss the major steps in developing a security
risk management system.
- Describe the major types of attacks against EC
some of the major technologies for securing EC.
Electronic Payment Systems
Understand the crucial factors determining the success of
- Describe the key elements in securing an
- Discuss the players and processes involved in
using credit cards online.
- Describe the uses and benefits of purchase cards.
- Discuss different categories, methods of
programming, and potential uses of smart cards.
- Discuss various online alternatives to credit card
payments and identify under what circumstances they
are best used.
- Describe the processes and parties involved in
the operation and benefits of e-billing.
Order Fulfillment, Logistics, and Supply Chain Management
Understand the role of order fulfillment and back-office
operations in EC.
- Describe the order fulfillment process.
- Understand the concept of the supply chain, its
importance, and management.
- Describe the problems of managing the supply chain
and the use of innovative solutions to do so.
- Describe the need for integrating the information
systems of the front and back offices.
- Trace the evolution of software that supports
activities along and management of the supply chain.
the relationships among ERP, SCM, and EC.
Module 16: EC
Strategy and Implementation
Describe the importance and essentials of business and EC
- Describe the strategy planning process for EC.
- Understand the strategy formulation process.
- Understand how EC applications are discovered and
- Describe the role of CSFs and justification of EC.
- Describe strategy implementation.
- Understand how to reassess EC strategy.
- Describe the role of metrics in EC.
EC failures and lessons for success.
Module 17: The
Regulatory Environment of Electronic Commerce
List and describe the major legal issues related to EC.
- Understand the difficulties of protecting privacy
and describe the measures taken by companies and
individuals to protect it.
- Describe the intellectual property issues in EC
and the measures provided for its protection.
- Describe some of the ethical issues in EC and the
measures organizations take to improve ethics.
- Understand the conflict between Internet indecency
and free speech and the attempts to resolve the
- Describe the issues involved in imposing sales tax
on the Internet.
- Differentiate between contracts online and
- Discuss some legal issues of computer crimes.
the measures available to protect buyers and sellers
on the Internet.
E-Communities, Global, and Other Issues in EC
Describe the role and impact of virtual communities.
- Evaluate the issues involved in global EC.
- Analyze the impact of EC on small businesses.
- Describe the relationship between EC and BPR,
knowledge management, and virtual corporations.
- Understand the research opportunities in EC.
the future of EC.
Describe the characteristics and attributes of m-commerce.
- Describe the drivers of m-commerce.
- Understand the supportive technologies and their
- Describe the wireless standards and transmission
- Describe applications of m-commerce to finance,
marketing, and customer service.
- Describe the intra-enterprise applications of
- Describe B2B and supply chain applications of
- Describe consumer and personal applications of
- Describe some non-Internet m-commerce
- Describe location-based commerce (L-commerce).
the major limitations and implementation issues of
2002 EC-Council. All rights reserved.
This document is for informational purposes only. EC-Council
MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN THIS SUMMARY.
EC-Council logo is registered trademarks or trademarks of
EC-Council in the United States and/or other countries.